- Course fee
- Category 1-PEN Teach English.
This course gives you the knowledge and skills to approach or review the design and
development of language teaching syllabi. You will look at the relationships between the
syllabus and the curriculum, and with other aspects of teaching and learning, and explore the
challenges of syllabus design. You will look at the role of the coursebook, learning objectives
and assessment outcomes in syllabus design, and how to align a syllabus to external
frameworks like the CEFR.
Experience: A background in language education, as a teacher, manager or publisher.
Language Level: B2 or higher
Course Length: 4 weeks-15 hours
29 May-23 June 2023
3 July-30 July 2023
Course Fee: 4500 TL
Tutor-led and highly interactive
Live and asynchronous eLearning platforms
Course Design covers the following areas:
• key concepts in syllabus design and development
• issues and options in syllabus design and development
• the relationship between the syllabus and the coursebook
• the role of learning objectives and assessment in a syllabus
• how to map a syllabus against CEFR
• considerations in integrating critical thinking and/or 21st Century skills in a syllabus
• syllabus evaluation frameworks
You will also evaluate the possibility of going beyond language in a syllabus, to include, for
example, critical thinking or other 21st century skills. Finally, you will consider principles for
critically evaluating a syllabus and build up to an assignment which will assess the
competences you have developed during the course.
Time will be built into the course for reflection, to consider how to adapt the content to your
own professional context. We then support you in creating a strategy for putting your ideas
into practice in your institution.